Intelligent room infrastructure to support research in Ambient Intelligence (AmI)
- Current trend: computing capabilities added to devices:
- first: car radios, telephones, cameras,
- and now: tickets, clothing, furniture, walls, doors...
- Convergence of the physical and digital worlds
- Concept of Ambient Intelligence:
- ubiquitous computing,
- ubiquitous communication,
- intelligent user interfaces.
- Need to know the context of use → perception issues
- Heterogeneous population of users and devices, need for an easy-to-use environment → adaptation and multimodal interaction
- Proactive and intelligent behavior → reasoning, inference, knowledge representation
- Build an experimental room as a testbed for research into intelligent buildings
- Feature numerous sensors and actuators linked via a dedicated network infrastructure
- People involved:
- technologists, who can deploy new devices and new interaction methods in the IRoom,
- sociologists, who can study user behavior in “ambient” environments.